Monday, October 18, 2010

Yellow Flowers


My mother is very fond of flowers. And so am I. Though, i'm not very good with them. I don't have a green thumb (like my mother obviously have) but I still enjoy taking care of the flowers, most especially the roses, the orchids and the hibiscus shrubs (gumamelas).

Flowers are often used to beautify the surroundings, especially the front lawns. It makes the home more welcoming, more inviting and more colorful. The front yard is the place wherein you welcome your guests, your children play and you gather around for some chit-chat. It is also the place where your visitors would likely get their first impression of you and of your home.


These are hibiscus flowers. Hibiscus is a genus of flowering plants in the Mallow family, Malvaceae. It is a flowering shrub with large flowers which ranges from white to pink, yellow, read and orange. My mom had a variety of Hibiscus flowers at home. She had whites, reds, pinks and of course, yellows. This is one of my mom's favorites. Maybe because of its very striking and huge flowers.


The Ginseng is one of the many species of slow-growing perennial plants with fleshy roots, belonging to the family, Araliaceae. It is known for its roots' medicinal properties. Dad have a bottle of brandy at home, with Ginseng roots. He drinks a shot a day. It actually works for him, making him more energetic. Ginseng is also said to increase mental and physical capacity, reduce fatigue and prevent infections. Mom had about a dozen of these in the front yard, planted on pots and arranged in a row. And honestly, I never knew that its flowers (and seeds) would turn out to be this lovely on a photo.


The Philippine Santan. This is an ornamental plant from the family, Rubiaceae. This is a very common plant here in the Philippines. Our front yard is basically fenced with yellow and red Santan plants. And it's amazing how they usually bloom together, making a very colorful display in our yard. This plant grows easily and does not need that much attention, as compared to other plants. As long as there's an ample amount of sunshine and water, this plant could survive on its own. Plus, this is one plant that blooms with flowers all year.

The world may become dull sometimes. Life may become complicated. But once we see these wonderful colors, glittering under the sunshine, all our troubles seem to drift away. Yes. The world seems to be much more colorful with flowers.


MellowYellowMondayBadge


52 comments:

  1. There's something in a flower that gives a BOOM! haha. nice post :) My mother loves flowers too. :)



    exchange links?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Parang first time ko yata nakakita ng Yellow na Gumamela (Hibiscus) usually it's red or pink.
    Thanks for visiting my MellowYellow
    and I'm not sure if I invited you already,if so,I still want to invite you again if you can join us every Friday posting a food photo at Food Trip Friday.
    Thanks and have a wonderful week ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love yellow flowers, the hibiscus is beautiful! I have a red and an orange hibiscus plant. I gaven't seen ginsing before! Nice shots!

    ReplyDelete
  4. wow.. i can't even describe those artistic shots of the flowers..


    ang ganda. yun lang. :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very dramatic shot and colors!! I love the color combo of the flower ! Nice macro too! Thanks for stopping by and showing some love on my blog!! Peace and love!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. My mom had that green thumb, too. Helps give you something to shoot for. And I love the black and white photo below. I agree that sometimes we just need to simplify!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, ga! perfect! ka-gwapa sang imu flower ..heheh... dropping by for MYM.

    Mellow Yellow Monday Here

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nice flowers. A couple I haven't seen before.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Leah, thanks a lot for visiting.

    My first time hee and now following your blog. Love the music by the way and so is the flower.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Leah, beautiful photos here and great music! My favourite would be the hibiscus. I love that combination and it's HUGE!!

    Thanks for stopping by my blog and leaving a comment. I'd love to come back again. Flowers make the world a happier place:-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Leah... thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting... I have a hibiscus like the one in your photo and I absolutely love it! Your photos are certainly bright and cheery... good to see as we approach the dark days of winter here in Wisconsin! Take good care... Larry

    ReplyDelete
  12. wow! what's the name of that flower? looks very lovely :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a beautiful flower. Happy MYM!

    ReplyDelete
  14. nice cute flower leah. i do love flowers too and my mother. but my mother died 22 years ago. i only have memories in me. cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Kakatuwa, pareho nga tayo ng entry, pero sayo may added na iba which are both gorgeous!

    visiting you back from Online Mommy's Corner

    ReplyDelete
  16. the second one is simply gorgeous...congrats

    Have a nice day, sweetheart
    graceolsson.com7blog

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hello Leah,

    We have the same flower entry today :)
    With your mom having green thumb I'm sure you have a beautiful front yard.

    Thank you for stopping by my garden.

    ReplyDelete
  18. ganda ng shots. :D

    gusto ko ung second flower, ang sarap titigan

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ganda ng yellow gumamela. hope to see the pink one naman. :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. lovely flowers dear. hibiscus are indeed very beautiful.favorite subject ko yan pag nagpicture ako ng flowers madami kasi variety. thanks for dropping by.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Matamis ang nectar ng santan :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. That is a beautiful flower!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hi! That Philippine Santan looks like an Ixora. It is beautiful with needle like buds. Thanks for stopping by my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Beautiful!
    Thanks for your comment.

    ReplyDelete
  25. thanks for the visit dear! Hibiscus is the only flower with complete parts. =)

    ReplyDelete
  26. btw, im following you now.. =)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Lovely! Is it a hibiscus?

    ReplyDelete
  28. that is a beauty. Flowers are very cheering especially yellow ones.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I love hibiscus! Really lovely color. I'm not sure I've seen yellow before.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Great shots! Perfect for Mellow Yellow.

    Erika B

    ReplyDelete
  31. They are all very beautiful, love that first one especially.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Thank you for leaving a sweet comment. I love your picture. So yellow. It's my first time to visit your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  33. Oh, the flower really looks big.

    ReplyDelete
  34. oistt..love this nice shot of a flower, I'm fond of taking pics of flowers as well;)

    ReplyDelete
  35. very pretty
    I love the bit of red in the center and all the vivid green behind it

    ReplyDelete
  36. Nice flowers, great shots! Happy Week!

    ReplyDelete
  37. ang gaganda...parang walang bagyo dito sayong blog hehehe...

    ReplyDelete
  38. Your flower photos are beautiful.I love the hibicus. I, too am not that good with growing flowers but love to look at them and photograph them. Thanks for visiting my blog and Happy MYM!

    Sandy
    from the Heart of Texas

    ReplyDelete
  39. Beautiful pics! Thanks for stopping by my blog and commenting.

    ReplyDelete
  40. Thanks for your comment :-)
    Your blog is interesting. And your contribution is exciting.

    ReplyDelete
  41. The flowers are all very beautiful and an interesting post.

    ReplyDelete
  42. Beautiful hibiscus flower.

    ReplyDelete
  43. I love the color is this gumamela?
    Plant for bugs

    ReplyDelete
  44. wow, what a lovely flower.... nice shots :)

    ReplyDelete
  45. Those yellows are really lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  46. yellow has always been my favorite color. :)

    hibiscus, on the other hand reminds me of stonefree. my favorite opm band :)

    perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  47. Wow, the colors really pop. Love the yellow flowers.

    ReplyDelete
  48. hey leah. lalagay ko sa first blog post ko yung drawing. grab mo na lng. right click para mas malaki. :))))

    ReplyDelete
  49. favorite flower ko din ang hibiscus lalo na yong single. tapos meron pang isang klase yong tinatapal sa pigsa cute din nun.

    ReplyDelete